I return. I’ve been gone for a week. Therefore I am DRAWING a LIME in the SAND and not even trying to catch up on anything here. If you got killed or the Beatles came back or something, let me know. Apologies.
C’est magnifique, mais ce n’est pas Windows Genuine Advantage
- I apologize for barely reading any of you lately. A new job and shoulder problems aren’t conducive to plowing through LJ posts and RSS feeds. If you’ve announced something to the world via LJ that you assume I know, I don’t!
- Shoulder. Ow, still, I had to get forceful with the internal medicine guy about the fact that the pace of investigation is glacial and I hurt so damn much that I spend a fair amount of time writhing. He tightened up the appointment schedule and gave me some Vicodin, which is unpleasantly doping but does give me a couple of hours taking the edge off.
- I think I might go to Bar Camp L.A. ( http://barcamp.org/BarcampLA-3 ) tomorrow. It looks pleasantly nerdy, and a least a couple of people I know are going. I hope the nerds can deal with 12th & Long Beach in the warehouse district!
- I heard a My Chemical Romance song and liked it. Yow.
- On more definite musical ground, I enjoy this band The Early Years tremendously. ( http://www.theearlyyears.org.uk/ ). They sound a bit like the Chameleons and earlier Joy Division, or even Television. But not imitators either, I think. Let me know what you think. obnoxicant in particular!
- I am reading a history of the Algerian war. What a horrible mess.
- I enjoy my new job.
folks i haven’t read my lj friends list in more than a week because every time i get loose of work my shoulder goes out on me but frankly it’s not that bad and will probably be fixed unlike many of mine or my friends’ problems but anyway i thought i should let you know that i am preparing spaghettic rigate with tomato sauce and a romaine lettuce salad with parmesan both of which look pretty good despite the fact that I am under the influence of POWERFUL PRESCRIPTION MUSCLE RELAXANTS. Hi!
your future, yard donkey
I haven’t had time or energy to blodge much. Haven’t been keeping up on other people, either.
My life is a blur of medical bullshit, entertainment news, unix sysadmin tasks, spyware, and spam. Lots and lots of spyware and spam. In lieu of telling you lots of boring details about this I will paste a typical reading item for me lately below.
Content analysis details: (28.0 points, 5.0 required)
pts rule name description
—- ———————- ————————————————–
1.1 EXTRA_MPART_TYPE Header has extraneous Content-type:…type= entry
0.1 FORGED_RCVD_HELO Received: contains a forged HELO
0.0 DK_POLICY_SIGNSOME Domain Keys: policy says domain signs some mails
2.1 TVD_FW_GRAPHIC_ID1 BODY: TVD_FW_GRAPHIC_ID1
0.4 HTML_30_40 BODY: Message is 30% to 40% HTML
1.8 HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_24 BODY: HTML: images with 2000-2400 bytes of words
0.0 HTML_MESSAGE BODY: HTML included in message
3.5 BAYES_99 BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 99 to 100%
1.5 RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_E8_51_100 Razor2 gives engine 8 confidence level
0.5 RAZOR2_CHECK Listed in Razor2 (http://razor.sf.net/)
0.5 RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_51_100 Razor2 gives confidence level above 50%
4.0 RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET RBL: Received via a relay in bl.spamcop.net
[Blocked – see ]
1.6 URIBL_SBL Contains an URL listed in the SBL blocklist
3.0 URIBL_BLACK Contains an URL listed in the URIBL blacklist
3.8 URIBL_AB_SURBL Contains an URL listed in the AB SURBL blocklist
1.0 PART_CID_STOCK Has a spammy image attachment (by Content-ID)
1.0 PART_CID_STOCK_LESS Has a spammy image attachment (by Content-ID,
1.0 STOCK_IMG_HTML Stock spam image part, with distinctive HTML
1.0 STOCK_IMG_HDR_FROM Stock spam image part, with distinctive From line
not post so much
This is mainly because I got the flu and then my arm hurts. I still love you all and I’ve been reading the LJ, just not commenting as much because etc.
Also my mac is having horrible issues so I’m using the linux laptop, which is great but has less ease of use, and I am a lazy, lazy man. Back soon I hope.
But what about the Kottonmouth Kings?
I get the best anon comments. Today’s reader mail:
ok ICP N juggalo$ iN geNeral r the oNly ppl with ballz enough 2 $ay wat they have 2 $ay. N they aiNt a baNd! N if they r $o bad theN they wouldNt have made $o much fukiN mmoNey N they got famou$ from lo$erz like u who bad mouth them $o go ahead keep talkiN yo $hit cuz thatz wat makez them famou$. but u $hould really li$teN to their mu$ic b4 u talk $hit ok. thanx MMFCL haha
From this post: http://substitute.livejournal.com/446376.html?style=mine
- This is me at 80, I hope: Young@Heart does Sonic Youth. Wow. Courtesy la_lisa They also do a fairly amazing “Fix You” by Coldplay, and I don’t even like Coldplay.
Young@Heart’s website is at http://www.youngatheartchorus.com/. They also have a myspace page like everyone else in music. edit: url fixed thanks to salome_st_john
- Speaking of music, in my dream last night a country band did a fine version of Motorhead’s “Ace of Spades” and now it’s stuck in my head. How did I get an earworm of something that doesn’t exist? It’s like trinnit‘s description of hell: being deaf and having the Super Mario theme in your head.
- I’d like to wish everyone a happy Listmas! This is the very special time of year when journalists of all kinds, but especially entertainment writers, turn in lists instead of articles and go on vacation. Two representative examples are Pitchfork’s Top 50 Albums and Rolling Stone’s equivalent. I suggest throwing out publications during December. Also, you’re reading one now. Ha!
- I’m having a blissfully stress-free “holiday season” because I followed Stimps’ Best Advice Ever: don’t watch TV. That’s where all the bad messages come from. If you don’t watch the television, the “season” is just some good food and maybe giving someone a book you think they’d enjoy.
- Pescadou is doing up New Year’s really well. I think my mom and I are going to go to the earlier and cheaper seating of their prix fixe, which is $52 a person for three courses. Any one else interested? It’s a 6 pm ish thing. Their second seating is later and $80 for five courses and that’s too much money and food for me.
- The Rules of Engagement have been expanded to cover destruction on sight of SUVs with wreaths on the front. Please make a note of it.
guh bluh duh metaquiz
If I could put time in a walrus
- NO: AN INTRODUCTION: the Exploding Aardvark shares her “NO” tag.
- My del.icio.us stuff tagged “NO” has some links in common, because the ‘vark and I share an esthetic of “no.”
- And then, there’s my LJ stuff tagged “no.”
I spent most of the day in a shitty state of mind but had a nice long coffee talk with becauseshewas at which dawn_michele unexpectedly showed too. Good blather was had.
Want to know what keeps me hanging on? Chili pepper, that’s what. Specifically, hot sauce made from my own chili paste which in turn was made from chipotles, chiles de arbol, ancho chiles, salt, and vinegar.
Maybe I should take a jar of the stuff to therapy tomorrow and hand it to Carol and say: physician, spice thyself.
I appear to have at least temporarily lost all interest in cars. How’d that happen?
Windbag alert and attention conservation notice
I have developed a manifesto-sized idea and am about to blog it out. You have been warned. Long essays making a large cultural point can’t be sold and published conventionally unless the author is a respected and eminent intellectual or a rock ‘n’ roll star. Those who can, do; those who aren’t, blog.
This may fizzle or may be several essays; I’m not sure where I’m going to pinch off the blog yet. Because of TL;DR in this post-literate medium I present some bullet points below for those who aren’t going to plow through the thing.
- Irony is worse than dead, it’s suicidal.
- Stop celebrating bad art, bad food, and evil. There’s a place for enjoying things that are so bad they’re good. It isn’t the place called “the entire culture.” Giving up on quality of any kind has more serious consequences than we might think.
- Phony postmodernism kills. Take the risk of being well-meaning and sincere. A couple of poorly understood Cultural Studies classes does not confer the privilege of detached Godhood.
- Permanent adolescence is no improvement over permanent childhood. Living our lives fully and meaningfully is a duty to others and not just to ourselves.
- Subcultures, fandoms, and gaming worlds are eating a generation of privileged and educated people alive when we could and should be doing well and doing good. Come out of the couch fort and live.
- Cheap fatalism is a crime of privilege. Admitting defeat in advance hurts many, many people less fortunate than we are before it touches us.
I freely admit in advance that I will be didactic, pretentious, and annoyingly prescriptive. It’s likely that I’ll also be irrelevant and that I will make a fool of myself. I have no formal training in philosophy or sociology and will probably reinvent various wheels poorly.
But sometimes an idea just arrives and possesses me. This one has sat on me for years, and is at the root of a troublesome fiction project that won’t budge. Tormenting my small audience with an unsaleable vanity-press think piece is the best I can do with it right now.
Further material in this series will be tagged “ironyproject.”