I’ve had a couple of conversations with nickjb and genericus about bad cover versions over the last few. We were dredging our brains for the worst covers we could think of, either because a good song was humped to death by some horribly inappropriate interpretation, or a mediocre song was taken to the logical limit of its badness.
Some notables were:
- Natalie Merchant doing “Because the Night” like she had a teacup on her knee.
- Fine Young Cannibals present the Buzzcocks’ “Ever Fallen in Love”
- Blood, Sweat & Tears do “Minnie the Moocher”. Late enough in their career to have drum loops.
- Phil Collins skullraping “You Can’t Hurry Love”
- Michael Jackson sings “Come Together”. Auuiiggh.
- 10,000 Maniacs again, this time murdering John Prine’s “Hello in There”
- James Taylor “How Sweet It Is to be Loved By You”
- Shaun Cassidy “Rebel Rebel”
- R.E.M.’s teeth-grindingly whiny version of “Pale Blue Eyes”
Please add yours!