Today’s News Quote of the Day, from the New York Times:
“Everyone talks about eyeballs,” said William Bao Bean, an Internet analyst at Deutsche Bank Securities. “Well, they’ve got all the eyeballs in China. And now they’re beginning to cash in on that.”
Summary from Automotive Digest:
- Chrysler Group to import small Dodge car from China’s Chery automaker, beginning in 2008
- Deal confirmed by DC, 1st such pact w/ Chinese automaker by any major Western producer
- Tentatively named Dodge Hornet, ‘B-car’ subcompact will be smaller than Dodge Caliber
- Chrysler turns to China because cost of building domestic B-car all but wipes out profit
- Deal pressures UAW on carmaking costs
- Holding prospect of small SUVs, compacts also farmed out to China
- Chery already exports cars to about 20 countries in SE Asia, Africa, Middle East
- Chrysler CEO Tom LaSorda praises Chery’s manufacturing record
- Says it’s “good fit” w/ domestic automaker’s engineering, design staffs
- Chery deal still to be ratified by DC supervisory board, UAW chief Ron Gettelfinger is member
- Chery-Chrysler liaison began after Chinese automaker broke off agreement w/ US dealer group working w/ Malcolm Bricklin
Detroit Freep news article has more
So You Want To Be A China Sex Blogger from Maciej Ceglowski tells the story of an expat Brit inin Shanghai whose blog contained the poorly chosen mix of swaggering colonial sex yarns, culturally insensitive jabs at his host country, and loud criticism of an authoritarian government.
It looks as though some combination of internet sleuthing, mob rage, and government is going to give him a pretty bad rebellion in his boxers soon.
Christ, what an asshole.